Saturday, February 7, 2009


The thing about not working and being in transition is that you have time! Lots of it.. Since I love to read I've done a lot of that in the last 10 months. Right now I'm trying to get caught up on 3 issues of Leadership Magazine that my husband had not passed on. ;-) I'm about finished with the last one and it is really challenging me in my concepts of ministry.

The Winter 2009 issue is about "rediscovered roots" and how many churches today are finding ways to merge the past with the present in their worship and services. We tend to reject the old ways in our quest for progression. One of my husbands favorite sayings is "don't throw out the baby with the bath water." But, on the flipside of that, any tradition that becomes a ritual looses it's impact and purpose. We must keep it fresh and innovative, change the method but not the meaning behind the ceremony, to present the tradition in in a fresh new way.

Some of our doctrines have become meaningless habits, so familiar that we have all but abandoned them, doing them so infrequently. But if we can find a way to make it come alive, electric almost, then they again have a reason and are moving and spiritual.

We all know, and often experienced, the controversy over worship styles. But it's not about what you like or what I like, it's about what please God, and the friction caused by the differences is not pleasing to Him.

We don't have to throw out the old in favor of the new and we don't have to ignore the new in preference of the old. They both have a place and a meaning. Where would we be today if it were not for our father's and mother's of the faith? Without the youth and their orginality the church has no future.

OK, there you have it! My thoughts on the subject, for what they are worth.


2 comments:

B said...

I agree wholeheartedly! If the aim of our worship is to be pleasing to God, then it doesn't matter if it is old or new, or a mixture of both. What matters to Him is that our worship comes from our heart with an attitude of love and adoration of Him. And that's my two cents, for whatever it's worth! lol Have great Sunday. :)

~~ATTIC CLUTTER~~ said...

HI Laura(:)
4 boys wow.. I have an understanding of your life
I raised 3 and it was --interesting ~!!
They are all grown now and we are so lucky to have them..

well dear just wanted to stop and and say hello..last time
(a couple a days ago) I tried leaving you a message it wasn't working right..
SO HELLO and hugs from my blog to yours (:)
Patty