Thursday, June 4, 2009

Stranger/Foreigner/Immigrant ?


"The stranger who dwells among you shall be to you as one born among you, and you shall love him as yourself..." Lev. 19:34

In my reading this morning I came across this and had to stop and ask God to help me. In the political climate here in SoCal this is not necessarily easy. We are in a financial crisis, people out of work and some of the reasons are the immigrants, legal and illegal. I am not prejudice and have many friends of various ethnicity's, but I do have to admit I am having a inner struggle with the ones who come here and do not assimilate into America and expect us to adapt to them. But, when you put a face, personality on "them" then it becomes more personal and not so easy to make conclusions. Then when you read this scipture, you have to ask yourself, what would God have you do?

We can, and I have, say that it's the illegal ones who come here and are maybe criminals that we object to. But in Numbers 35 God has told them to set up cities of refuge. These cities were to be a sanctuary for those who are wrongfully accused, although I'm sure not everyone who ran to the cities were innocent, but they were still allowed asylum.

God is constantly working on me, challenging me, stretching me. That is the purpose of the journey, to make us like Him. I'm glad He allows us to grow, stumble and then get back up. Remember, "no perfect people."

2 comments:

sailorcross said...

Hmmm...I know what you're saying here. There are many people in our area looking for work--well qualified people--who are unable to find jobs. And yet, I see people who have immigrated to our country who do have work or else are living off our government. This makes me stop and contemplate upon God challenging me to love my neighbor as myself.

I don't consider myself to be prejudice either, but still God is working on me in this.

Thanks for posting this and making me think some more.

Beth

LauraBo said...

Thanks for the comment, it is good to know that I'm not the only one that God is having to remind about this. The book the Shack also reminded me that God created us all and loves us all.