Friday, June 19, 2009

What if His People Prayed?

Casting Crowns has a song "What if His People Prayed?" Have you every really thought about it? What if we prayed?

"if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive ther sin and heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

Not many people have heard of Jeremiah Lanphier, I hadn't until I read an article in the the Spring 2009 Leadership magazine. I decided to look him on the internet to see what was there and was convicted by what I read.

Jeremiah Lanphier was a single middle-aged man in 1857 when America and Europe were in the midst of a historic depression. He felt led to quit his business and move to Manhatten. The nation was divided by slavery, drunkeness was uncontrolled, there were 30,000 men idle on the streets, the unemployment rate was near 25%. (sound familiar?)

He poured himself into the homeless, helpless and hopeless people in the dark slums of Hell’s Kitchen sharing God month after month. One day he came up with the idea to open the church and get people together at noon for prayer. The first day 5 men showed up, the next week there were 20, then 40 until it spread across America. There was an incredible move of God, thousands were saved, lives changed and the economy in America turned around.

No comments: