Thursday, July 16, 2009

BEING CONFORMED Phil. 3:10

I'm not sure why but one of my favorite verses for years has been Phil. 3:10-11 "that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead."

Of course, the first thing is "that I may know Him" and that is why I love this verse. Next is "the power of His resurrection" and again that's inspiring. But if you read on "the fellowship of His sufferings" gets a little harder to embrace. Then, the defining words "being conformed to His death".

We see atrocities being done to Christians around the world, just because they bear His name. We in America get upset if someone mocks Christianity and/or us, if we don't get what we want on the political scene, and some in the prosperity ranks claim entitlement financial blessings and even disdain those not "blessed".

We've all heard it said we're just a paycheck away from being homeless but we think it is for the unmotivated, lazy person next door. Believe me, it can happen to you, but that does not change who God is and that He is still in control. His timing is His, His purpose is His, and His will is His.

I once heard a preacher say God ask him if he'd be willing to do it all over again, to repeat the early years of ministry. I've never forgot that and told God I would, but to be honest now that we are basically doing it, it's not easy. It's not exactly the same, then we had 4 young sons, and after leaving good jobs took a church with no people. We wound up living in the church for a time, with no evangelist quarters by the way.

This time we're planting a new church and our sons are all in ministries of their own, and we are living in a house but there the differences stop. Again we have no people, no jobs and trusting that God will provide. He's never failed us and He will not now. Success in mans eyes is not the same as what God sees. Remember when Samuel told Jesse that God looks on the heart and he still does that today.

What does that have to do with Phil 3:10 ? My hearts desire is to be all that He wants me to be no matter the journey, to be conformed.

No comments: