Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Learning to Trust

We cannot trust God, have faith in Him, or find joy in Him until we really know Him, His likes/dislikes, His passions, and His personality, know Him intimately. Only when we truly are acquainted with Him can we trust Him to be good, faithful, true, and loving. We also need to know what He wants for us personally, and this is where it gets a little bit harder. That is when the trust often is tried.

A few years ago while praying for a friend, God showed me that trusting Him is letting Him choose and believing that He knows best, remembering that God loves us more than we can comprehend, that He sees the big picture. The answer may not always be the answer we want, it may come in a package we don’t like. However, we have to reach a point where we say “Nevertheless, not my will but yours

I have to admit from that day on I lived by that without a lot of struggle, until; my world was turned upside down. Do we only trust God when things are going good? when the situation is manageable, short lived. What about when your circumstances change, people you trusted betray you, your health is in question, your finances disappear, and the life you know is forever altered. What about when the situation seems to extend forever and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel? Does God seem silent or even non-existent?

I have served God for 30+ years, had many learning curves, times when I thought things were hard and questioned what God was doing. Nevertheless, these last two years have been beyond anything I have ever experienced, and just when you think it is about to end, then the hammer drops again. I look and God seems to be not hearing me or maybe absent. That's when I have to search my heart and my motives. It is then I have to stand on what I know and not let the conditions distract me.

I have learned to say as Joseph “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good.” Gen. 50: 20 NAS. Moreover, I have had to walk it out and in fact am still walking it out. I've learned that the journey is the purpose, not the end, and that God is doing a work in me that I may not see and usually don't think is necessary. :-) God is faithful and come what may I will lean on Him.

No comments: