Monday, May 31, 2010

Story of Second Chances - The Heart Mender




Andy Andrews’s latest book is a very compelling story. It is a historical fiction self-help book about forgiveness. Oh, and it's based on a true story.

The story is of an unlikely couple who meet in a small gulf town during World War II. It takes them through a process of coming to terms with their past and finding forgiveness and hope. As life often teaches us, “A few of the main characters’ experiences turned out to be more common that I had previously believed.” Pg. VI

Often when we have been hurt, wronged, or disappointed, we let the pain of the incident cloud our vision and our lives. This is exactly what one of the principal characters in the book has done. Andy weaves a story that keeps you reading, and in the process gives us a good example of forgiveness and second chances. He illustrates how when bitterness and anger takes over we are in reality allowing the person/event to control us.

Just as in the book, God will place people in our lives to speak truth to us; we just have to be open and receptive.

“Forgiveness does not erase history or excuse what happened,…… It means giving something up. To relinquish something means to give up whatever power it holds over us.” Pg. 120

After reading this book you will have a clearer understanding of forgiveness and the necessity of it in your own life, the freedom it brings. 

Thomas Nelson provided me with a second copy of the book to give away on this blog. I am asking for your request in the comment section,
    1. Leave a comment below. Tell me why you want this book. Be creative. I really do read these comments and base my decisions on them.
    2. Twitter a link to this post.  If you don’t have a Twitter account, you can use Facebook.
   
On the 5th of June I will pick a winner. Enjoy!











2 comments:

mimisherry said...

You are a perfect fit for reading and rating books! You always make me want to read the one you are reading! I think I have picked up several books just because YOU have recommended them! :) This one sounds equally interesting!!
You have had your fair share of being hurt in life....I know these past several years have been so rough, and continue to be so challenging. I pray for you and Lindell!! I love you both so much!!! XO<3

robin marshall said...

This post to my Face Book was very, very timely. I am going through a situation where I need to have this information. Thank you