Thursday, July 8, 2010

Heroes

As you know we've been gong through a lot these last few years and to be honest it's been a roller coaster. We've been up and we've been down with the various things we've battled.

The pic line, chemo pump, has been removed from Lindell's arm. Jeannie, the oncology nurse, was not receptive to the idea at first because he had seven more radiation treatments. She wanted to do chemo for another week and leave the pic line in for possible further chemo treatments later.

However, after talking with us and reviewing his records she removed it. The gist of it is that further chemo would be of no real benefit. We said if the quality of life was not any better and they were not optimistic of a good percentage of improvement with the cancer than we would not do anymore chemo. We will know more after the CT Scan in a few weeks.

I've been questioning "WHY". Like I told Lindell, we're no better than anyone else that has to deal with diseases but we are also no worse than some who don't. We've served God to the best of our ability for 30+ years and I have no regrets about serving Him. I wouldn't go back for anything in the world and I will praise Him with my dying breath but I still don't understand.

When this all began to happen people told us that this would seem like a bump and that God had plans for us. We have been believing that this would all end and we would do ministry again and do some great things for God. Now we're here! 

The book I'm reading now for Thomas Nelson is "Cast of Characters" by Max Lucado and as usual Max's writing spoke to me. This mornings was on Hidden Heroes. He used several illustrations of people who are virtually unknown to us but not God. People who impacted someones life who went on to do great things for God. He then asked "Do heroes know when they are heroic? Rarely. Are historic moments acknowledged when they happen?....We seldom see history in the making, and we seldom recognize heroes." 

I knew God was speaking to me. We've watched our four sons as they've stepped up and did things we dreamed of doing. There have been other young ministers we've touched who have said they would not be where they were today if not for us. We are satisfied with that. Not that we would have liked to really live out our dreams but God is in control and we trust Him.

To our sons Lindell is a hero. None of us know what the future holds. I do know who holds my future.








1 comment:

mimisherry said...

Laura you both HAVE been through so much! It has been awful to see your hearts break and ache the way they have during this time. I hate that it has been such a long road....I know you are up for it, up for God using you and teaching you and building your ministry....But I also know you have been completely stripped and that is NOT comfortable at all!!
We love you and Lindell so very much and we pray for you and think of you often!
We miss you!!
XO