Friday, December 31, 2010

What Inspired That Hymn

Have you often wondered what inspired some of your favorite Christmas, Easter and other beloved hymns? I’ve tried to read a few other books written about hymns and found them boring and uninteresting as a whole, as well as mostly songs I’m not familiar with. I was hesitant to try another one but decided to take a change and I was not sorry I did.

Robert Morgan’s Then Sings My Soul Special Edition has a short, one page story for several well-known hymns that I’ve sang through the years. Each story, or article, is personal and informative. I found it inspiring, and enlightening. 

Some of the stories I had heard such as “Amazing Grace” and “It Is Well With My Soul”. Now I know something about several other favorites. 

“Because He Lives”, by Bill & Gloria Gaither was written during the turbulent times of Vietnam, racial tension and unexpected pregnancy. The song reassured them that The Lord’s resurrection is the central truth of life.

“Go Tell It On the Mountain” was a plantation song of the Negro slaves that uncovered and published .

I am so glad I picked up this book and hope everyone discovers it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David