Monday, June 20, 2011

WHAT IS BLESSED?


While reading this morning during my quiet time I was directed to Proverbs 22:9. “He who has a generous eye will be blessed” NKJV. In reflection of my last post, and the book I’ve been reading, I stopped and contemplated this verse. I looked it up in my Bible which is also MKJV and it said “bountiful”. In the Thesaurus bountiful synonyms are plentiful, generous, ample, numerous, ample etc. I then looked blessed up in the Thesaurus and it was holy, sacred, sanctified, consecrated, set apart. 

Now most of us when we see the word blessed we automatically think financially. Blessed is not benefiting us financially, or however we believe but to set us apart, sanctify us. To make us more like God. 

In this culture today, especially with the economy what it is we may not want to hear that. We want to be better off financially. However, maybe we need to remember 1 Timothy 6:6-8Godliness with contentment is great gain.” The RSV puts it this way “There is great gain in godliness with contentment.” We in America today have forgot how to be content with our wealth, and yes , we are wealthy by the world’s standards, and are always wanting just a little bit more. I am just as guilty as the next person. Wanting a newer car, newer outfit, different job, and on and on. I am determined to rein my thoughts in and be content. I am, well I am at a loss for words. I would normally say blessed, but after learning the true meaning of the word, I can only say I am determined to be blessed, to be set apart.

PS: Was struggling for substitute for blessed so looked it up online. This is what I found:
–adjective
1. consecrated; sacred; holy; sanctified: the Blessed Sacrament.
2. worthy of adoration, reverence, or worship: the Blessed trinity.
3. divinely or supremely favored; fortunate: to be blessed with a strong, healthy body; blessed with an ability to find friends.

So we can use it to be favored however I  believe it holds a more sacred meaning then held by most.

No comments: