Sunday, September 20, 2015

THE MONK AND THE NUN




I love historical fiction and this being sort of biographical also I was looking forward to it. I was somewhat disappointed as it was hard to read. Primarily because it was so intense with the actions of the church of those days. However, it was, to wordy, to descriptive? It was so detailed it was hard to get to the meat of the story.

This is of course a fictional tale of Martinus Luther, an excommunicated monk who led the protestant reformation and his wife Kate.  Katharina von Bora, was an escaped nun, a daughter of noble birth discarded to a convent.

Although the facts are accurate to the best of my understanding and research, the story is mainly imagination but however compelling. I was aghast at the ferocity of the times, the lengths the church and king went to in order to try and stop the spread of what they considered heresy.  That parents would do thoughtlessly discard their children.

Overall I did enjoy the book and learned so much about our heritage, of the freedom we take so much for granted.

I received this book free from Water Brook Publishers for an honest review.

No comments: